Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Discussion: Is healthcare a right?

So I wanted to start a discussion about whether universal health care was a "right." But I decided that the line was too blurry between "Yes, health care for everyone is a good thing so the government should give it to everyone," and "The right to health care is implied in the the right to life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness and therefore is a constitutional right.

What do people think? Should access to basic health care be a constitutional right for all people?

I was planning to argue the side of no, while I wouldn't be opposed to health care for all, i don't think that the right of "pursuit of life" includes health care but its hard to say why. II'm worried about a health care that doesn't penalize people for abusing the system. I'm worried that people would go see a doctor for a common cold. And even the poorest of people have access to clinics. So while it would be nice to make health care avaliable to more people, I will be skeptical of any plan for universal health care until I see it work.

What do you thiink?

No comments: